Celebrating First Nations Australians this week and every week!
Happy NAIDOC Week, Brisbane/Meeanjin! We at Hands of Hope acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land, and pay respects their Elders past and present. We extend our respects to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
NAIDOC is an annual celebration that stands for the National Aboriginal and Islanders Day Observance Committee. It’s the perfect time to recognise and honour the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
Non-Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians have the great privilege to learn about First Nation cultures and histories, participate in these celebrations, and support our communities.
Here are a few ways we can support our community:
- Attend a NAIDOC event – there are a number of events throughout Australia as listed on the website
- The 2022 NAIDOC Virtual Event is free to join and will showcase a variety of films about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stories, culture and historic events:
2. Support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses
- Chocolate on Purpose is 100% Indigenous-owned and sells a variety of delicious choccies to give as incredibly thoughtful presents (or to consume yourself, of course):
3. Educate yourself – Listen to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices by reading books by Indigenous Australian’s authors
- Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia by Anita Heiss is a beautiful anthology that showcases diverse stories and experiences from Aboriginal poets, writers, students about their identity. It’s an exceptional read and I highly recommend listening to the Audiobook or grabbing a copy:
- The Healing Foundation is an organisation that amplifies the voices of Stolen Generations survivors and their families
There are so many ways to celebrate NAIDOC all week this week and every week!
by Beatriz Polotan